Sunday, December 10, 2006

Workaholics Anonymous

The other day, my friends and I happened to talk in passing about the brother of one of my friends. This guy is a complete workaholic and works on saturdays and sundays too. One friend said it was very presumptuous of this man to think that his company couldn't survive without him, that his company was totally dependant on him. She didn't say this cattily at all, coz all of us respect this man. But I have myself been at the receiving end of comments like these from catty colleagues. And I think people who pass such remarks completely miss the point.

I was a workaholic. Currently though, I believe that I still work hard but also spend time on leisure with people who matter to me. But I do remember the time when I gave work all my time and energy. And it simply was NOT because of the notion that my company could not survive without me. It was because some of us really do find a lot of fulfilment in work...so much so that we sometimes neglect other things in life, which is wrong of course. But that's hardly because of the egotism some people would attribute to us.

2 comments:

  1. Very true point..It is all a matter of how we are prioritizing things. At some point in life when I feel that I can work hard to build my career I would do so, definitely not with the intention that the organization was running because of me.

    Vijay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vijay: thanks for dropping by! workaholics prioritize work above everything else unintentionally many times...and some times intentionally too...to each his own.

    ReplyDelete