Sunday, January 14, 2007

An Irony and a Paradox

Was reading an article on Rediff.com about how to avoid spam in your inbox. At the end of the article, there were comments by readers. Ironically, ALL comments on that page were complaints addressed to Rediff to clean up their ISP act! Readers cited instances where Rediff sent multiple spam mails to users on a single day and also the irritating pop-ups that are a given every time you log on to this otherwise wonderful portal. Couldn't help but smile at the irony. Rediff, of all portals, decides to educate us about spammers (the article does have some good tips, check it out here) and yet this portal is the one with MULTIPLE spam pop-up ads. (I'm a Virgo. I like having minimum possible windows open at any given time!)

Moving on to a curious paradox. The other day, I happened to say "Never say never" to a friend who was insisting that a certain thing would never happen. Though she was pacified after some more pithy words from me, since then I've had long internal debates in my mind as to how a phrase as pithy and nice as "Never say never" is actually paradoxical. I mean, to someone who says "Never say never" the clear retort would be "But you just did!" So, I've now come to the conclusion that this lovely phrase is actually flawed. Hrrmpph. The correct way to say it would be "ALMOST never say never!" or "be careful not to say never" or something just as silly and boring, but more, uh, correct.

Paradoxes and ironies sure spice up life!

12 comments:

  1. Hey QuestGirl,

    New post up! Go check! :)

    Btw, ironies and paradoxes are what make life what it is! Don't you think so? :)

    Take care.

    - Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sam, Ya, life is much more interesting for all the paradoxes and ironies it presents!

    U finally wrote something new! Good, will check it out. Tc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rediff coming up with such an article is the ultimate, its like Mush talking about democracy! Second point, Yep couldnt agree more with you. About 15 years ago, I thought I would never live to be 35, a veg, single and a writer, all at the same time...but "Never Say Never".

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey day break - like mush talking about democracy indeed! Lol, good one :) and btw....u just did ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been meaning to check out your blog. Just been having a crazily hectic time. Did it finally.
    What I read in your profile made me feel strange. It isn't just the Amitabh thing that we have in common. It's more. What you said about the print, about raiding bookshops, even one of your favorite movies (good as it gets) and the chilled cinema hall.
    Well, superficial things...still made me curious to know who you are.
    Anyway.
    A very happy new year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nita, I was amazed to find we had the Amitabh Bachchan thing in common too, and now this! I think your blog rocks! Thanks for dropping by, hoping to see many more interesting posts from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Evrything in this society is a myth- Mythologies- Roland Barthes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for dropping by, Clash...gosh, i had to do a google search for "Roland Barthes"...guess he wrote about ironies snd paradoxes too, huh??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its an IRONY that PARADOXES exist in this world!!!

    While reading this blog just wondered how did these word originate. Not an avid reader though stuck upon these articles through Google

    IRONY:
    http://etext.virginia.edu/cgi-local/DHI/dhi.cgi?id=dv2-70

    PARADOX:
    http://etext.virginia.edu/cgi-local/DHI/ot2www-dhi?specfile=/texts/english/dhi/dhi.o2w&act=text&offset=10661036&query=paradox&tag=LITERARY+PARADOX

    Newaz keeping thinking about it..

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey ban, thnx for the links, will defi chk them out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting.
    But if you are a self-indulgent person like me (and I guess the line in your profile "It's always about me" does say something about that), you would probably say,
    "Never say never, unless you wanna quote me."
    (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol, Harsh, nice retort. and hey, the "it's all about me" line is supposed to be cheeky, not a reflection of how i really am... having said that, it's also true that i AM self-indulgent, sometimes...aren't we all :)

    ReplyDelete